Program “Nordic Forest History Conference in Iceland”
15:00/16.00 Departure by flybus from Keflavik Airport
Accommodation at the Grand Hotel, Reykjavik; dinner
20:00 Visit to The Botanical Gardens in Laugardal, 10 minutes walk
21:30 Assembly at the Grand Hotel
08:00 Excursion to Borgarfjörður, West Iceland:
* The Settlement Centre: Saga center and exhibition
* Stálpastaðir Forest at Skorradalur refreshments in the forest
* Snorrastofa at Reykholt, where Snorri Sturlusson lived
* Barnafossar Waterfalls, driving a highland road Kaldidalur to Thingvellir
* Þingvellir National Park. The Alþing general assembly (The Icelandic Parlament) was established around 930
21:00 Meeting of the Contact Group after dinner
Early swimming in Laugardalslaug pool optional
09:00 Seminar at the Grand Hotel: "Use of exotic tree species in afforestation, with emphasis on historical, economic and ecological aspects".
* Norway: Bernt Håvard Øyen, Direktör ”Stiftelsen Bryggen” Bergen. “Use of exotic tree species in afforestation in Norway”.
* Denmark: Peter Friis Møller, forstkandidat, Danmark. “Opportunities and problems with introduced tree species in the Danish forests – in a historical perspective”.
* Sweden: Erik Valinger Professor , Umeo, Sverige. “The introduction of Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta) in Sweden”.
* Iceland: Dr. Þröstur Eysteinsson, Division Chief, National Forest, Iceland. “There can be no forestry in Iceland without exotic trees”.
* Faroe Islands: Trondur Leivsson, Chief Conservator, Dept of Woodlands, Landscaping and Recreation, Faroe Islands. Topic not named.
* Finland: Speaker not named, “History of exotic tree species in Finland”.
11:00 Visit to The National Museum,which celebrates it’s 150th birthday in 2013
13:30 Seminar continues
08:00 Day trip to South Iceland:
* Geothermal Plant, exhibition
* Soil Conservation Service, Gunnarsholt. Lunch at Gunnarsholt
* Plant nursery at Tumastaðir, Arboretum at Múlakot and Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
17:00 Arrival at Grand Hotel. Swimming in Laugardalslaug pool optional
19:00 Gala Dinner
04:30 Depature to Keflavik Airport by flybus
07:00-08:45 With the departure of respective flight from Iceland
Matkakertomus on Susikossa 3/2013, s. 15-24.